Here's a recipe for a truly delicious side dish made from canned yams. Since canned yams are already peeled and cooked, this recipe is super simple. Allow just fifteen minutes to get this side dish to the table.
The dish is sweet, which is a nice contrast to the savory dishes often served with turkey and ham.
1 large can (40 oz.) canned yams
About ¾ cup dark brown sugar (more or less) to taste
¾ cup orange juice
1 generous T cinnamon
½ T ground cloves
½ cup raisons
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
A sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
- In a small saucepan, dissolve the brown sugar into the orange juice. Cook until it bubbles and starts to thicken. (To hasten thickening dissolve 2 TB cornstarch in ¼ cup of water and add to orange juice mixture)
- Add cinnamon, cloves and raisons and stir until spices are incorporated into the orange juice
- In a separate pot, heat jams, then transfer to a serving bowl
- Pour orange juice mixture over warmed yams
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts and pumpkin pie spice on the top