If broccoli isn’t one of your favorite vegetables, then substitute another. Peppers, zucchini or spinach also go well in this recipe.
The following recipe has evolved over the years from several standard broccoli quiche recipes.
Ingredients for one nine-inch quiche:
1 unbaked pie crust (either your own or purchased ready-made) spread over the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie dish
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion chopped or diced
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1teaspoon minced garlic)
2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets, steamed and separated and cut into small pieces
1 ½ cups shredded Swiss cheese, separated
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, separated
5 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk (whole, skim or evaporated)
½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan (or frying pan) and add garlic and onion. Sauté until soft.
- Transfer garlic and onion to the bottom of the unbaked pie crust.
- Evenly spread steamed broccoli over garlic and onion pieces. Top broccoli with 1 ¼ cup of both shredded and Swiss cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the pie crust.
- Top with remaining ¼ cups of the cheeses.
- Flute edges of crust.
Place pie plate on a cookie sheet and place in the center of oven. Bake for approximately 1 hour, but begin checking for doneness after 45 minutes.
If you are cutting back on calories, you can eliminate the crust altogether. Just place all the ingredients in the same order in a well-buttered glass pie plate or 9-inch square pan.
A green salad and homemade yeast rolls are the perfect complements to this delicious meatless dinner.