Cooking a hearty meal for Dad is a great way to honor him while getting in a little family time. Many families opt for a traditional barbecue on Father’s Day, but there are other choices as well.
One suggestion, Pulled Pork Sandwiches, is an easy alternative that can be started in the slow cooker in the morning and enjoyed later in the day. As an added bonus, most of the ingredients needed to make this recipe are probably already in your cupboard.
Pulled Pork Sandwiches (makes 6 sandwiches)
3- 5 lb. cut of boneless pork, such as loin or shoulder
1 T. chili powder
½ T. cayenne pepper
1 t. garlic powder
½ cup brown sugar
2 T. minced onion flakes or 1 T. onion powder
½ c. beef broth
Rolls of your choice
1. Mix together chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, and onion flakes or powder
2. Rub spice mixture on pork, covering all sides
3. Place pork in slow cooker
4. Add beef broth
5. Cover and let cook for about 5 hours on high setting
6. Remove pork from slow cooker, cool and shred
7. Place pork and the drippings remaining in slow cooker into a frying pan. Bring to a boil until pork is heated through
Serve on rolls of your choice with whatever toppings you like.
Happy Father's Day!
This article originally appeared on my food page on Examiner.com.
You can read it here.